English 30 Blog

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Why does everyone and their mother have a cell phone?

There are a few things that nearly everyone in America has. One of those things is a cell phone. It’s wild to think of life before cell phones. Especially when I didn’t have my driver’s license. How did I get anywhere? Today, if I forget to bring my phone with me to class I’m just a little bit upset about it. Don’t even talk to me if I’m going to be gone for more than an hour and don’t take it with me.

Just to give you an idea of the importance of cell phones in today’s American culture: two articles in the New York Times discussed some aspect of cell phones. I mean, I can understand one, but two? I feel like there may even be more that I missed.

The first article talks about a new device that allows consumers to connect their cell phone to a base unit and larger handset, turning your cell phone into a landline. I think this is actually a great idea. It’s not necessary to have two phone plans, often costing hundreds of dollars per family. If you eliminate a landline you eliminate that twenty-five to fifty dollars a month. Some keep their landline for better reception, but with this appliance you connect your cell phone to a base which you then keep in the area of the house with the best reception. You can walk around wherever with the cordless handset and still get the same quality of reception.

The second article informs us that the ban on cell phones in New York City schools is being more strictly enforced. I don’t know how I feel about this article, and am torn between siding with the parents and schools. Because most schools are without metal detectors there was no way of knowing if you had a cell phone. It was don’t ask don’t tell. Recently though, one school set up police searches upon entering the building and confiscated one hundred twenty nine cell phones. The interviewed parents say that giving their children a cell phone is necessary in an urban environment, and I agree. I couldn’t imagine not having that connection to a parent while in a large city. But, on the other hand, cell phones haven’t always been around. We somehow managed without them before. I think I agree more with the parents because anything that increases safety of a child and better communication is a good thing. If cell phones are around you should be allowed to use them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home