English 30 Blog

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Oh, Kady. Oh, American Dream.

I sat down and talked with my roommate about her thoughts on the American Dream. Not just asked her to give me a topic, but really sat down and talked about what she perceives the American Dream to be.

What she said did not line up with what we talked about in class at all. Kady’s American Dream is completely different than the dream of Horatio Alger stories and the Great Gatsby.

She told me, essentially:

“Everyone wants to be remembered after they're gone for something that they did in their lifetime. Most kids dream of becoming something big, like President, or a movie star. People want their lives to mean something, so that they can feel as if they lived for a purpose. The American Dream is to become rich and famous, and to have everyone want to be you and know who you are.

“In middle school and high school, teenagers grow up hoping desperately to be popular. They want to be known throughout their school and be loved by everyone around them. In the real world this need to be known is transferred to your profession: to be the best lawyer in town, or the best doctor, or the best anything.”

That is so utterly wrong it’s unbelievable. Or is it wrong? As I have said in a few blogs, has the American Dream just changed that much?

This English class has really motivated me to look deeper into the American culture and question its principles. In addition the in-class discussions aided me in further solidifying my opinions of our country. I wish I hadn’t developed a fear of talking in class and actually participated more because I had things I wanted to contribute. But even just listening was great.

I actually find the American Dream somewhat discouraging because it requires so much effort and in-born talent. I don’t think I have to personality of Ragged Dick or the drive of Gatsby, so will I ever be able to succeed as they did?

But, then again, is the American Dream real? Or is it more common for people to just get lucky? I know I said my ideas were somewhat more solidified, but in typing this, I’m realizing how confused I still am. That’s why I enjoyed this class: for provoking reflection on the subjects. Not necessarily understanding, obviously, just good old reflection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home